So, guess what! I was nominated for the Liebster Award by my friend and fellow blogger, bblawson over at handmadebybbl.wordpress.com ! How cool is that? (Thank you, Bonnie.)
Apparently, this award is to recognize new(ish) bloggers and help get them some recognition. And HOLY INVISIBILITY, BATMAN! I could always do with some exposure. So I am accepting this nomination. “I’d like to thank my grandmother for sending my mom to that USO dance where she met my dad, because soldiers are such nice boys……” I know. I know. It’s not an Oscar.
But still. How cool is it to be nominated for an award for basically just publicly journaling your life’s trials and tribulations because you don’t have behavioral health insurance?! I’m thinking cooler than penguins sitting on ice cubes.
I’m supposed to answer 11 questions about myself, courtesy of bblawson of handmadebybbl.wordpress.com. So, here goes:
1. Name a sound that you love- That’s easy. I love the sound of rain falling. It doesn’t matter if it’s just a light drizzle or a full-on thunderstorm. Rain is the best sound on earth. It soothes my soul.
2. What is your favorite song? A far more difficult question to answer. My taste in music is diverse, to say the least. My favorite song changes almost hourly. Sometimes it will be Crazy Train by Black Sabbath and then it could be Blank Space by Taylor Swift followed by Rock the Casbah by the Clash tied with Cold Shot by Stevie Ray Vaughan and then all of those will be canceled by Linger by the Cranberries.
3. What is your least favorite household chore? Hands down, my least favorite chore is washing dishes. We don’t have a dishwasher and my hands are always chapped.
4. What do you feel is most important in life? Respect. I believe that mutual respect is key in any relationship. And life is all about the relationships that we make with others. 5.Have you ever been mistaken for a celebrity? If so, explain. I doubt it. Unless Angelina Jolie also looked like THIS in the 8th grade:
6. What do you like to do when you have free time? Free time? BWAHAHAHAHAHA!
I have 5 kids. What’s free time?
7. Morning person or night owl? Morning person…but not by choice.
8. What is the best gift you’ve ever received? Hmmmm. I’m torn between the five kids my husband gave me and the KitchenAid mixer he bought me last year. I am seriously leaning toward the mixer.
9. Last television show, book or movie that made you cry. I don’t remember the last television show that made me cry. The last book was FURIOUSLY HAPPY by Jenny Lawson. Granted, most of the tears were due to excessive laughter, but it still counts. Also there were some parts that were truly sad and serious and I did cry for those. The last movie I cried at was Sisters with Tina Fey and Amy Poehler, but again, that was because it was so friggin’ funny. Yeah, I know it only got 3/5 stars in most of the reviews. I laughed my butt off.
10. Best meal you’ve ever eaten. Wow. That’s like trying to nail gelatin to a tree. I’ve had so many amazing meals in my life and in so many different countries. I guess I will go with one of the most flavorful that I remember back in Amman, Jordan. A group of us got together and went to the Dead Sea. After swimming all day long, we had dinner at a hotel restaurant and we ordered “mixed grill” which consisted of grilled lamb, beef, and chicken on skewers and was served over beds of rice with the obligatory endless “mazzah” or appetizers like hummous, baba ghanouj, a variety of olives and pickles, as well as many salads. It was delicious.
(Bonnie was supposed to provide me with 11 questions, but she’s a true rebel and stopped at 10. So I’ll make up an 11th.)
11. What do you want to be when you grow up? I want to be a writer. My dream is to write some amazingly deep novel that Oprah Winfrey decides her book club should read and discuss and I’ll end up on all those awesome bestsellers lists and you guys will all be like, “Oh, wow! I remember back when she was just a lowly blogger, barely making the mortgage payments.”
Now I’m supposed to tell you 11 facts about me. So, here we go:
1. I love to laugh. 2. I am fairly certain that sarcasm is a genetic trait. All 5 of my kids have it. Their teachers will all back me up on this. 3. I believe that people all over the world are the same despite the differences in their religions, languages, cultures, and customs. We all love our children and wish them success in their lives, no matter how we define it. 4. I am an intellectual snob sometimes. I’ve worked very hard to overcome this flaw but there are times (like during election years) that I’ve actually heard my eyes roll back. 5. I witnessed the Arab Spring firsthand in Egypt, 2011. 6. I swam in the Med, the Dead, and the Red Seas all in the same day. 7. I make the best New York-style cheesecake ever. 8. I love my family fiercely. 9. Although I am married to a pastry chef, I really don’t have much of a sweet tooth and would rather eat more dinner than dessert. 10. I have a great relationship with God that I consider to be private. I absolutely HATE to discuss or debate whose religion is “right” or “wrong.” 11. I will sometimes check my blog stats three or four times a day after writing something that I think is amazing just to see if anyone else thinks so, too.
Now the last couple of things I am supposed to do is to nominate 11 other bloggers AND post the rules. I am not posting these in any particular order, just as they pop into my mind.
- Nuala Reilly of https://nualareilly.wordpress.com/ is nominated. I met Nuala through a blog that we mutually follow and we became friends. She’s a great storyteller and I love how in her books she is able to clearly define and cultivate relationships between characters. Her blog is great because she bares her soul to the world and makes me think about how different we are even though we both have the same number of kids in the same age range.
- Allison Cupid of http://www.foreveracupid.com/ is nominated. She is just a giant ball of awesome. I love her way of chid-rearing, her blunt and unapologetic way that she loves herself and how she got to that point in her life.
- H.G. Nomdeplume of http://unitedstatesofbohica.blogspot.com/ This blogger is one of the most coherent thinkers and articulate writers I’ve ever known. She’s all that and a bag of chips.
Most of the blogs that I follow all have over 1,000 followers so I’ll have to cap out at 3. Sorry, Liebster.
Holy Forgetfulness! I forgot to include the 11 questions for the nominees. Let me stick those in here. Y’all can copy and paste to your own blogs and then answer from there.
- What made you choose to blog/write?
- If you could run screaming from your life for 3 days alone and your kids/responsibilities would all be safe and sound, where would you go? What would you do?
- Would you ever run for public office and why or why not?
- Name three things about you that you LOVE.
- What is your “go-to” comfort food?
- What is the one thing on your bucket list that you want to do most of all?
- Name one social change in the world that you would like most to make.
- Do you believe professional wrestling is real or scripted?
- Are you a talker or a texter?
- What is your all-time favorite quote from a famous person, living or deceased?
And finally here are the rules that I need to post in order to make all the check marks in the Liebster nomination acceptance check list.
The Official Rules Of The Liebster Award
If you have been nominated for The Liebster Award AND YOU CHOOSE TO ACCEPT IT, write a blog post about the Liebster award in which you:
1. thank the person who nominated you, and post a link to their blog on your blog.
2. display the award on your blog — by including it in your post and/or displaying it using a “widget” or a “gadget”. (Note that the best way to do this is to save the image to your own computer and then upload it to your blog post.)
3. answer 11 questions about yourself, which will be provided to you by the person who nominated you.
4. provide 11 random facts about yourself.
5. nominate 5 – 11 blogs that you feel deserve the award, who have a less than 1000 followers. (Note that you can always ask the blog owner this since not all blogs display a widget that lets the readers know this information!)
6. create a new list of questions for the blogger to answer.
7. list these rules in your post (You can copy and paste from here.) Once you have written and published it, you then have to:
8. Inform the people/blogs that you nominated that they have been nominated for the Liebster award and provide a link for them to your post so that they can learn about it (they might not have ever heard of it!)
Thanks again, to Bonnie of Handmadebybbl.wordpress.com. You are my crafty mentor and I love you. Thanks to the Academy for considering my nomination. And thank you Liebster for awarding us lowly up-and-comers of the blog world.